Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

Hello,

Are there problems with piracy in that area?
"Pirates and Traders"
https://oxfordre.com/asianhistory/display/10.1093/acrefore/9780190277727.001.0001/acrefore-9780190277727-e-32?d=/10.1093/acrefore/9780190277727.001.0001/acrefore-9780190277727-e-32&p=emailA2GK0eNd4K8wE#:~:text=a global context.-,Pirates and Traders,-An old Malay
If the greater presence of Japanese trade in Southeast Asia brought far greater attention from Europe and the Indian subcontinent, then could there be an expanded presence of piracy primarily in the archipelago?
The Golden age of piracy is about to begin after this, so I'd expect some pirate crews to stay around post war, and a few to get into Japanese service (just bc it'd be interesting and would probably inspire ittl's versions of shogun).

Hello,

Are there problems with piracy in that area?
"Pirates and Traders"
https://oxfordre.com/asianhistory/display/10.1093/acrefore/9780190277727.001.0001/acrefore-9780190277727-e-32?d=/10.1093/acrefore/9780190277727.001.0001/acrefore-9780190277727-e-32&p=emailA2GK0eNd4K8wE#:~:text=a global context.-,Pirates and Traders,-An old Malay
If the greater presence of Japanese trade in Southeast Asia brought far greater attention from Europe and the Indian subcontinent, then could there be an expanded presence of piracy primarily in the archipelago?
Japanese wokou piracy at this point is a thing of the past thank to Azuchi's naval enforcement of its seas but there is definitely piracy in Southeast Asia. If I'm correct, Sulu piracy is a big issue for the Spanish Philippines during this time. However, without Zheng Zhilong or Koxinga piracy is nowhere near as prominent in the 17th century as it is IOTL. Definitely a topic I'll explore more.
Yeah I should've guessed, with the various ppl controlling different parts of the land, and with the 'royal demesne' being relatively limited (and the fact that the Daijo-Daijins can't move too much against them) means taking more power this way would be a very effective way to make money and get power from this. Maybe we see the Daijo-Daijins push for colonisation to increase the power they can wield?

Also do you think Japan would want to replace the Dutch as the overlords of the Sulawesi kingdoms?
Something to be answered in due time.

Last edited:
So, a thought occurred to me. Correct me if we didn't discuss this before...

We've mentioned the development of swords like the Katanna before and mentioned the Tachi being still in use in Samurai cavarly, what about older swords like the Odachi/Nodachi? Are these giant swords still in circulation, or just shown off as status symbols? Or maybe some rare use in samurai cavalry?

Because I like the idea of Japan's enemies seeing Samurai cavalry carrying a huge-ass sword like this:
1024px-Samurai_with_Odachi_sword_on_horse.jpg

I think it’d be interesting to incorporate some kind of “golden age of piracy” in SE or the Indian Ocean because of the damage caused by large-scale naval warfare.

So, a thought occurred to me. Correct me if we didn't discuss this before...

We've mentioned the development of swords like the Katanna before and mentioned the Tachi being still in use in Samurai cavarly, what about older swords like the Odachi/Nodachi? Are these giant swords still in circulation, or just shown off as status symbols? Or maybe some rare use in samurai cavalry?

Because I like the idea of Japan's enemies seeing Samurai cavalry carrying a huge-ass sword like this:
1024px-Samurai_with_Odachi_sword_on_horse.jpg
Samurai cavalry now almost universally fight in the style popularized by Sakuma Moritora: a long yari as the primary weapon in a charge with katana swords and early carbine pistols utilized as well. Kinda like winged hussars. This is especially true because a lot of the samurai cavalry come from the Oshu region where reverence for the Tiger of the North is strongest.

Samurai cavalry now almost universally fight in the style popularized by Sakuma Moritora: a long yari as the primary weapon in a charge with katana swords and early carbine pistols utilized as well. Kinda like winged hussars. This is especially true because a lot of the samurai cavalry come from the Oshu region where reverence for the Tiger of the North is strongest.
Love these facts, thanks

permanently so, even
With how these wars go, that probably would be true.
When you say the winged hussars I always remember the gun axes:
%C3%84nterbila_med_pistol_m-1703_01.jpg

While I don't think the Japanese would use these I just wanna say that we could see gunsmiths in Japan making some wack combination weapons with guns.

And with your comparison of the Japanese cavalry with the hussars I could imagine the English and Dutch facing the might of the Japanese armies and their writings inspiring a new wave of legends about Asians that fight like them.

With how these wars go, that probably would be true.

When you say the winged hussars I always remember the gun axes:
%C3%84nterbila_med_pistol_m-1703_01.jpg

While I don't think the Japanese would use these I just wanna say that we could see gunsmiths in Japan making some wack combination weapons with guns.

And with your comparison of the Japanese cavalry with the hussars I could imagine the English and Dutch facing the might of the Japanese armies and their writings inspiring a new wave of legends about Asians that fight like them.
Speaking of Samurai Cavalry and guns, I'm wondering if reforms later on will turn certain units into the equivalent of dragoons, with sword and blunderbusses combo

Speaking of Samurai Cavalry and guns, I'm wondering if reforms later on will turn certain units into the equivalent of dragoons, with sword and blunderbusses combo
Considering that Japan is majority mountains, valleys and forests, I wonder why the Japanese cavalry is more like the hussars than dragoons lol. Their smaller horses would be easier to get on and off too.

I think that it would fit Japan's native conditions more, and I'd like to see the Japanese develop such tactics in response to moritora-style cavalry being expensive asf.